Smoky Hill/ Kanopolis Wildlife Area
200 Horsethief Rd
Marquette, KS 67464
GPS: 38.645057 -97.987188
Smoky Hill Wildlife Area surrounds a portion of the upper end of Kanopolis Reservoir.
Located approximately 30 miles west of Salina, or 15 miles east of Ellsworth.
Manager: Scott Thomasson
Teal Season is open Sept 7-22; Daily bag limit is 6. Water levels are back to normal at Kanopolis. Plenty of vegetation is flooded along the backwaters on the west end of the lake that may provide excellent early teal hunts.
Click HERE to learn about the History of Smoky Hill Wildlife Area
Click HERE for information on Hunting, Fishing, and Trails at Smoky Hill Wildlife Area
- No camping is allowed in the wildlife area.
- No vehicle traffic is allowed off the maintained roads.
- No hunting allowed in the adjacent Kanopolis State Park.
- Trash in, trash out policy. Take your trash with you.
- A refuge/special hunt area along the river is closed to all activities except by special permit from October 1 through March 1. Limited Special Hunts are allowed on the area through a state-wide drawing. Contact the Smoky Hill Wildlife Area Manager at (785) 658-2465.
- Several historical sites exist at Smoky Hill Wildlife Area. Do not disturb petroglyphs or other historical sites
- Wildlife viewing and photography opportunities are plentiful. In the winter several bald eagles and ospreys fish the river. Songbirds and wildflowers brighten the landscape throughout the area.