Louisburg Middle Creek State Fishing Lake
GPS: 38.51111 -94.67275
The Louisburg-Middle Creek State Fishing Lake was built as a water supply source for the City of Louisburg through a cooperative agreement between the City, the Soil conservation Service (NRCS), and the Kansas Fish and Game (Kansas Wildlife and Parks). Construction and final agreements for the operation and maintenance of the lake were completed and signed in 1986.
Notice: On 2/22/11 the boat ramp is OPEN, free from ice.
A diverse high quality sport fish population at Louisburg-Middle Creek includes largemouth bass, saugeye, white bass, wiper, bluegill, crappie and channel catfish . The 281-acre lake offers fishermen several different types of aquatic habitats. Especially promising areas include riprap off the face of the dam, the old flooded Metcalf highway bed, the original creek channel, brush piles, standing timber, weed beds, and mud flats.
Hunting opportunities on the 220-acre upland habitat surrounding the lake includes, deer, squirrel, turkey, bobwhite quail, and rabbit. Waterfowl also provide hunting opportunities on the lake itself. The predominant vegetation on the upland area includes oaks, ash, hickory, elm, Osage orange, red cedar, and locusts. Common shrubs are sumac and dogwood. Cool season grasses include brome and fescue while big bluestem and Indian grass are important warm season grasses.
Facilities include access roads, a double boat ramp, one vault toilet near the boat ramp, gravel pullouts for camping, picnic tables, and fire rings. Electricity and drinking water are not available.
- Vehicles are permitted on maintained roads and parking only.
- Primitive camping is permitted as posted on the north side of the lake only, please take your trash with you. Camping is no longer available on the south side of the lake.
- Alcoholic liquor and cereal malt beverages are prohibited.
- Fires are authorized only in provided metal fire rings and grills.
- Fireworks are prohibited.
- Motorized vessels on state fishing lakes shall be operated for hunting and fishing only.
- Swimming is prohibited.
- Hunting is permitted with shotguns, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment only.
- TARGET SHOOTING/PRACTICE IS NOT AUTHORIZED