2013-2014 CWD Test Stations
- USDA-APHIS funding to conduct statewide CWD surveillance was cut nationwide after the 2011-2012 season. KDWPT wishes to thank all of those contractors who collected samples for CWD testing during the 9 hunting seasons covered under the USDA grant. Monitoring the spread of the disease on a statwide scale would not have happened without their help.
This season, 2013-2014, surveillance will continue at a much lower level. The state is divided into 5 disease surveillance zones. This season the Eastern Zone will be sampled to detect CWD at 1% prevalence with 99% confidence. Participating taxidermists will be used to collect samples from the older animals from the Eastern Zone which are of more diagnostic value for detecting CWD. KDWPT staff will continue to sample sick/suspect animals on a statewide basis. The only hunter-harvested animals that will be tested with Pittman/Robertson funds will come from the Eastern Zone. Once the goal of 458 is reached, sampling will cease. Hunters outside the Eastern Zone can still have their deer tested at K-State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, but they will have to cover the cost of shipping, testing, and other associated costs. The cost of testing is once again $23.00 per deer this year. Surveillance will rotate clockwise with the order of surveillance occurring in the following seasons.
Northcentral Zone = 2012-2013
Eastern Zone = 2013-2014
Southcentral Zone = 2014-2015
Southwest Zone = 2015-2016
Northwest Zone = 2016-2017
IF YOU HARVEST A DEER OUTSIDE THE EASTERN ZONE AND WISH TO HAVE IT TESTED at Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL):
1. REMOVE THE RETROPHARYNGEAL LYMPH NODES (RPLNS) AND PLACE IN A SMALL JAR OF FORMALIN. KDWPT will supply formalin to hunters to those who request it until supplies run low. Field biologists can remove the RPLNs for a hunter and put them in formalin. The sample will then be given to the hunter to ship to KSVDL. A data card will be filled and retained by the biologist out at the time of sampling.
2. FILL OUT AND PRINT OFF A GENERAL SUBMISSION FORM AT THIS SITE
3. PUT THE SUBMISSION FORM IN THE BOX WITH THE FORMALIN-PRESERVED RPLNS AND SHIP TO KSTATE VET DIAGNOSTIC LAB
4. COST TO THE HUNTER WILL BE $23.00 PLUS THE SHIPPING and veternarian fees (if applicable)
5. As a courtesy for free formalin and lymph node extraction services, we ask that you call the Emporia Office with your result when you receive it. Emporia Office: 620-342-0658 Extension 209. THANKS!
RPLNs are the lymph nodes used to screen for CWD.
2013-2014 Eastern Surveillance Zone CWD Contractors
Individuals will be contracted with KDWPT to sample older deer (3.5+ year-olds) taken within the Eastern Zone. If a deer is taken outside the Eastern Zone, these contractors may agree to extract the sample, but in this case, business is between the hunter and the contractor. Deer taken outside the Eastern Zone are tested at the expense of the hunter.
OTHER CONTRACTORS MAY BE SIGNED UP BEFORE AND DURING THE 2013-2014 SEASONS.
|Arma||Nature's Art Taxidermy||Blake VanLeeuwen||620-224-4645|
|Edna||Sporting Life Taxidermy||Brian Barnett||620-922-3438|
|Harveyville||Bell Wildlife Specialties||Daniel Bell||785-589-2321|
|Independence||Whitehead Taxidermy||Philip Whitehead||620-331-7740|
|Junction City||Sportsman's Taxidermy||Don Rush||785-238-1236|
|Kansas City||Second Creation Taxidermy, L.L.C.||Cynthia Cunningham||913-422-3111|
|Ottawa||Sevenswest Taxidermy||Alex Zajac||785-630-0166|
|Reading||Mark Shoemaker||Mark Shoemaker||620-366-5894|
|Salina||Scott's Taxidermy||Jerry Scott||785-827-4668 (Office) 785-822-7222 (Cell)|
|Wakefield||Tom's Taxidermy||Tom Bowman||785-461-5739|