2014-2015 CWD Test Stations
- USDA-APHIS funding to conduct statewide CWD surveillance was cut nationwide after the 2011-2012 season. KDWPT wishes to thank all of those contractors who collected samples for CWD testing during the 9 hunting seasons covered under the USDA grant. Monitoring the spread of the disease on a statwide scale would not have happened without their help.
This season, 2014-2015, surveillance will continue at a much lower level. The state is divided into 5 disease surveillance zones. This season the Southcentral and Southwest zones will be sampled to detect CWD at 1% prevalence with 99% confidence. Participating taxidermists, and possibly some meat processors, will be used to collect samples from the older animals from the Southcentral and Southwest zones. KDWPT staff will continue to sample sick/suspect animals on a statewide basis. The only hunter-harvested animals that will be tested with Pittman/Robertson funds will come from the Southcentral Zone. The Southwest Zone samples will be covered under a different grant. Once the goal of 458 is reached in each zone, sampling will cease. Hunters outside the Southcentral and Southwest Zones can still have their deer tested at K-State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, but they will have to cover the cost of shipping, testing, and other associated costs. The cost of testing for deer harvested outside the targeted zones is once again $23.00 per deer this season. Any elk harvested in the state is required to be tested and is tested at no charge to the hunter. Surveillance will rotate clockwise with the order of surveillance occurring in the following seasons.
Northcentral Zone = 2012-2013
Eastern Zone = 2013-2014
Southcentral Zone = 2014-2015
Southwest Zone = 2014-2015
Northwest Zone = 2015-2016
IF YOU HARVEST A DEER OUTSIDE THE SOUTHCENTRAL OR SOUTHWEST ZONE AND WISH TO HAVE IT TESTED at Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL):
1. REMOVE THE RETROPHARYNGEAL LYMPH NODES (RPLNS) AND PLACE IN A SMALL JAR OF FORMALIN. KDWPT will supply formalin to hunters to those who request it until supplies run low. Field biologists can remove the RPLNs for a hunter and put them in formalin. The sample will then be given to the hunter to ship to KSVDL. A data card will be filled and retained by the biologist out at the time of sampling.
2. FILL OUT AND PRINT OFF A GENERAL SUBMISSION FORM FOUND AT THIS SITE. http://www.ksvdl.org/pdf/submission-forms/General-Submission-Form.pdf
3. PUT THE SUBMISSION FORM IN THE BOX WITH THE FORMALIN-PRESERVED RPLNS AND SHIP TO KSTATE VET DIAGNOSTIC LAB
4. COST TO THE HUNTER WILL BE $23.00 PLUS THE SHIPPING and veternarian fees (if applicable)
RPLNs are the lymph nodes used to screen for CWD.
2014-2015 Southcentral and Southwest Surveillance Zone CWD Contractors
Deer taken outside the Southcentral and Southwest zones are tested at the expense of the hunter. All harvested elk are required to be tested for CWD, and these elk are tested at no charge to the hunter, no matter where they are taken.
CONTRACTORS (By City) AVAILABLE TO SAMPLE SOUTHCENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST ZONE DEER AND ELK
|Ashland||Great Plains Taxidermy||Galen Krier||620-635-4423|
|Elkhart||The Ole Butcher Shop||Randy Lewis||620-697-4424|
|Ellinwood||TK Archery & Taxidermy||Janice Komarek||620-564-2326|
|Fowler||T&T Processing||T&T Processing||620-646-5911|
|Ingalls||King's Taxidermy||Gary King||620-335-5424|
|Kinsley||Burkhart Meats||Melanie Wheeler||620-659-2286|
|McPherson||Shaw's Taxidermy||Kendall Shaw||620-242-7232|
|Offerle||Bryant Kurth||Bryant Kurth||620-255-3541|
|Otis||High Plains Taxidermy||High Plains Taxidermy||620-586-3369|
|Scott City||RK Taxidermy||Ron Kershner||620-874-1673|
|South Haven||Breese Deer Processing||Leroy Breese||620-892-1091|
|Valley Center||Melvin Kincheloe||Melvin Kincheloe||316-755-2579|
|Valley Center||Roger Davis||Roger Davis||316-755-2738|
|Wakefield||Tom's Taxidermy||Tom Bowman||785-461-5739|
|Wellington||Jay Dee Brown||Jay Dee Brown||620-326-7020|
|Winfield||Feaster's Deer Processing & Taxidermy||Jim Feaster||620-221-2494|
|Winfield||Murphy's Taxidermy||Patrick Murphy||620-229-8122|