WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSION TO MEET JAN. 8 IN EMPORIA
Future big game regulations, Free Park Entrance and Free Fishing days on agenda
TOPEKA -- The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will conduct a public meeting and hearing in Emporia on Jan. 8. The public is invited to attend all sessions of the meeting, which will be conducted at the Best Western Hospitality House, 3021 W. Highway 50 in Emporia. The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m. and recess at 5 p.m. The evening public hearing will begin at 7 p.m.
Action and discussion items scheduled for the afternoon session include the following:
- department-related action anticipated in the 2009 session of the Kansas Legislature;
- Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) revenue and budget initiatives;
- drawing of 2009 Commissioner Big Game permits;
- KDWP cabin summit update;
- Kansas Coalition for Children in Nature;
- public lands regulations;
- KDWP fishing participation marketing program;
- new Meade Hatchery bass propagation facility; and
- state threatened and endangered species status.
The commission will recess at 5 p.m., then reconvene at the same location at 7 p.m. for the public hearing portion of the agenda. Proposals for future regulation include the following workshop items:
- KAR 115-25-5 -- fall turkey season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-7 -- antelope season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-8 -- elk season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-9 -- deer season, bag limit, and permits; and
- big game permanent regulations.
Following the workshop session, the commission will hold a public hearing to announce 2009 Free Park Entrance Days and Free Fishing Days.
Time will be set aside in both the afternoon and evening sessions for public comment on topics that are not on the agenda. If necessary, the commission will recess on Jan. 8 and reconvene Jan. 9 to complete any unfinished business.
Complete agenda and briefing book can be found HERE.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission of Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the commission secretary at 620-672-5911.