ARCHERY, EARLY FIREARMS SEASONS OPEN IN OCTOBER
Permits available where licenses are sold
PRATT -- Cooler temperatures and falling leaves always make hunters anxious to go afield, and it's that time of year. Deer hunters especially look forward to fall, when archery deer season opens Oct. 1. Again this year, firearms hunters will have an October opportunity for urban deer management in Unit 19, where the early firearms season runs Oct. 13-21.
All remaining deer seasons for 2007 include the following:
- youth/disabled persons season -- Sept. 29-30;
- archery season -- Oct. 1-Dec. 31;
- early firearms (Deer Management Unit 19 only, Kansas City-Topeka corridor) -- Oct. 13-21;
- regular firearms season -- Nov. 28-Dec. 9;
- extended whitetail antlerless only season -- Jan. 1-6, 2008; and
- extended archery (Deer Management Unit 19 only) -- Jan. 7-31, 2008.
While deer seasons are similar to last year’s, there are two notable changes from 2006. First, the extended season for whitetail antlerless deer was reduced from seven days last season to six days in January of 2008. Also, whitetail antlerless game tags are authorized in two additional units (1 and 2, located in northwest Kansas) where they were not authorized in 2006.
Deer permits and game tags are available wherever licenses or sold or online at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Just click "License/Permit Sales" at the top of the page. Complete hunter regulations may also be downloaded from this site or picked up at any license vendor or KDWP office.