Shawnee State Fishing Lake
Silver Lake, KS 66618
GPS: N39 12.018 W95 48.216
Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism
Public Lands Manager: Justin Hamilton
Phone: (913) 845-2665
The Forestry, Fish and Game Commission of Kansas purchased these acres in 1958. Development of the area as a state fishing lake was initiated in the early 1960's.
The 400 acres of the Shawnee Wildlife Area is dominated by native warm season grasses, forbs, and scattered brushy areas. Primary management techniques include prescribed burning, timber encroachment control, and control of invasive plant species. Food plots are also scattered throughout the wildlife area. The most popular species hunted are upland birds, rabbits, and waterfowl. Deer, furbearers, amphibians and reptiles may also be found.
Primitive camping areas, three vault restrooms, and picnic tables are provided for area users. There is no electricity or running water. Please carry out all refuse.
Approximately 60 acres of the wildlife area is designated for use by the Shawnee County Hunter Education group. Public access and usage of the Hunter Ed facilities is prohibited.
- Hunting is allowed only from December 1st through January 31st. Centerfire rifles are prohibited and deer hunting is restricted to shotgun and archery methods only.
- All alcohol, including cereal malt beverages, is prohibited
- Motorized boats are allowed for hunting and fishing purposes only
- Camping and campfires allowed in designated areas only
- Campfires allowed in provided metal rings only
- No camping and no ground fires are allowed on the west side of the lake
- Target shooting, off-road vehicle use, and horse riding are prohibited
- Area users are encouraged to visit information boards for all area-specific regulations.
- Shooting range operated by Shawnee County Hunter Ed group. Click here for open range dates and times .
- Camping Areas may be reserved for special events by contacting the Area Manager.