Cottonwood Flats Wildlife Area
GPS: 38.026004 -102.000001
Area Manager: Tom Norman
Phone: 62-276-8886 or
KDWP Reg 3 Office Phone: 620-227-8609
Located approximately 1 mile South and 0.5 mile East of Coolidge, KS
This property was transferred to the KDWP in 2001 by the Farm Services Agency
This area is located adjacent to the south bank of the Arkansas River and entirely restricted to the flood plain. The floral composition of the area varies from a nearly impenetrable growth of salt cedar immediately adjacent to the river to a thinner cottonwood/salt cedar/native grass mix to a mix of native grasses and forbs in the southern half of the property.
Hunting: Obtained specifically for the purpose of providing additional public hunting acreage in western Kansas and public access to the Arkansas River, this area offers the opportunity to hunt a wide variety of game species including: mule and white-tailed deer, quail, ring-necked pheasant, rabbit, mourning dove, turkey, waterfowl and a variety of furbearers.
Fishing:The river generally has flow throughout the year and is readily accessible by foot from the parking area.
- Open fires are not permitted.
- Vehicles must remain on established gravel roads or parking areas.
- Any two-wheel trails around the boundary of the property are private and not for public use.
- Off-road driving is prohibited.
- A no-trash policy is in effect for the area. Therefore, no trash receptacles are available.
- Consult area information boards or the area manager for additional information concerning rules and regulations.