Chase State Fishing Lake
1130 Lake Road
Council Grove, KS 66846
GPS: N38 21 54.7 W096 35 45.9
Manager: Brent Konen
Phone: (620) 767-5900
Chase State Fishing Lake and Wildlife Area is located in central Chase County, 1.5 miles west of Cottonwood Falls in the center of the scenic Flint Hills region of Kansas.
The 109 acre lake was constructed in 1954. A perpetual easement was granted to the Kansas Forestry, Fish and Game Commission (a predecessor of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism) for the lake and the 383 acre wildlife area that same year by Chase County. The easement granted complete control and management of the property to the State of Kansas.
The lake has a steep to shallow rocky shoreline and shallow mudflats on the upper end. Water clarity is usually very good. Eight fishing piers and many rock and brush fish attractors enhance angling opportunities at the lake. Fair to excellent populations of channel catfish, black bass, saugeye, crappie, white bass, and bluegill are found in the lake. Adjacent uplands primarily consist of native grass prairie. A diversity of wildflowers exists on the property and can provide outstanding viewing opportunities. Several small woody draws also exist on the property, primarily below the dam. Hunting is allowed but game populations are limited. The area does provide opportunities to hunt species such as quail, rabbit, white-tailed deer, turkey, squirrels, waterfowl, and prairie chicken. Camping is allowed (first come, first served) in designated areas along the north shore of the lake.
- Special length and creel limits may apply to some fish species at Chase State Fishing Lake. Please consult the Chase State Fishing Lake Fishing Information Page or area information signs for posted notices prior to fishing.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Vehicles are restricted to established maintained roads. Off-road vehicle use is prohibited.
- A No Trash Policy is in effect. Trash barrels and dumpsters are not provided and area visitors are asked to take all trash with them.
- Motorboats must be used for hunting or fishing purposes only.
- Ground fires must be contained within provided metal rings only.