PLENTY OF SUMMER LEFT AT KANSAS STATE PARKS
After Labor Day, parks offer milder weather, uncrowded parks
PRATT — School will be starting soon, and although many people view this as the end of summer, Kansas state parks are still going strong. Many have events planned for one of the busiest times the year — Labor Day weekend, Sept. 3-5. For outdoor enthusiasts, this is one of the best times of year for a park visit. If the weather is hot or just mildly warm, it’s a good time to be outdoors. Once Labor Day weekend is over, crowds thin, and September becomes one of the most relaxing times to visit a state park.
Trail rides, chili cook-offs, and fishing tournaments are among the many events slated for September, making the prospect of a pre-autumn mini-vacation even more inviting. Each park sets its own dates for these events, and all offer a chance to enjoy the special attributes of Kansas state parks, many of which feature rental cabins, as well as fascinating historical or geological features that enhance the park experience.
For more information on these events, phone individual parks or click the "Event Calendar" on the "State Parks" page of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) website, www.kdwpt.state.ks.us. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWPT website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column.
The following is a list of September state park events:
- Sept. 4 — Wright Flight of Kansas/Missouri trail ride at Eisenhower State Park;
- Sept. 9-11 — American Competitive Trail Horse Association & Midwest Mustang and Burro Saddle Club trail ride at Eisenhower State Park;
- Sept. 9-11 — Saddle Ridge Trail Riders Annual Fall Trail Ride at Hillsdale State Park;
- Sept. 10-11 — Heartland Coursing Association field trail at Clinton State Park;
- Sept. 11 — outdoor chili cooking contest at Lovewell State Park;
- Sept. 11 — 3-D archery competition at Lovewell State Park;
- Sept. 18 — Twin Rivers Bass Club of Emporia fishing tournament at Wilson State Park;
- Sept. 23-25 — American Competitive Trail Horse Association trail ride at Hillsdale State Park;
- Sept. 24 — National Trail Cleanup Day at Hillsdale State Park;
- Sept. 24-25 — “Fishing Has No Boundaries” tournament at El Dorado State Park; and
- Sept. 24 — 9th Annual Fall River Rendezvous at Fall River State Park.