WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSION APPROVES 2009 BIG GAME SEASONS
Deer, antelope, elk seasons set at public hearing in Oakley
OAKLEY -- The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission approved 2009 big game season regulations at a public hearing in Oakley April 16. Meeting at the Logan County Courthouse, the commission set seasons for deer, antelope, and elk.
Among season dates approved for deer hunting are the following:
- youth/disabled season -- Sept. 12-Sept. 20;
- archery season -- Sept. 21-Dec. 31;
- muzzleloader-only season -- Sept. 21-Oct. 4;
- urban unit firearm season -- Oct. 10-Oct. 18;
- regular firearm season -- Dec. 2-13;
- extended antlerless-only whitetail firearm season -- Jan. 1-Jan. 10, 2010; and
- urban unit antlerless-only whitetail archery season -- Jan. 4-Jan. 31, 2010.
The commission also approved a department recommendation to add deer management units 4 and 5 to the list of units open for the extended antlerless-only firearm season. The length of that antlerless season (open in units 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 19) was also increased by six days over last year’s extended season.
Season dates for antelope hunting include the following:
- archery season -- Sept. 19 – 27 and Oct. 10-31;
- muzzleloader-only season -- Sept. 28-Oct. 5; and
- firearm season -- Oct. 2-5.
Applications for firearm and muzzleloader antelope permits (open to residents only) will be accepted from the earliest date that applications are available through June 12. Archery permits (available to residents and nonresidents) will be available through Oct. 30.
Season dates for elk hunting include the following:
- archery season, statewide except Fort Riley -- Sept. 21-Dec. 31;
- archery season, Fort Riley -- Sept. 1-Oct. 4;
- muzzleloader season, statewide including Fort Riley -- Sept. 1-Oct. 4;
- firearm season, statewide except Fort Riley -- Dec. 2-13, and Jan. 1-March 15, 2010; and
- firearm season, Fort Riley -- first segment Oct. 1-31; second segment Nov. 1-30; third segment Dec. 1-31.
Elk hunting is not allowed in Morton County. Applications for elk permits are from the earliest date applications are available through July 10.