Smoky Hill/ Kanopolis Wildlife Area
200 Horsethief Rd
Marquette, KS 67464
GPS: 38.645057 -97.987188
Smoky Hill Wildlife Area surrounds a portion of the upper end of Kanopolis Reservoir.
Located approximately 30 miles west of Salina, or 15 miles east of Ellsworth.
Manager: Scott Thomasson
Click HERE to learn about the History of Smoky Hill Wildlife Area
Click HERE for information on Hunting, Fishing, and Trails at Smoky Hill Wildlife Area
- No camping is allowed in the wildlife area.
- No vehicle traffic is allowed off the maintained roads.
- No hunting allowed in the adjacent Kanopolis State Park.
- Trash in, trash out policy. Take your trash with you.
- A refuge/special hunt area along the river is closed to all activities except by special permit from October 1 through March 1. Limited Special Hunts are allowed on the area through a state-wide drawing. Contact the Smoky Hill Wildlife Area Manager at (785) 658-2465.
- Several historical sites exist at Smoky Hill Wildlife Area. Do not disturb petroglyphs or other historical sites
- Wildlife viewing and photography opportunities are plentiful. In the winter several bald eagles and ospreys fish the river. Songbirds and wildflowers brighten the landscape throughout the area.