WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSION SETS BIG GAME SEASONS
Elimination of deer check stations among the few changes from last year
JUNCTION CITY -- The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission approved 2006 big game hunting seasons at a public hearing in Junction City April 27. Seasons approved for big game include the following:
- early muzzleloader season -- Sept. 9 through Sept. 22;
- youth and disabled persons season -- Sept. 23 through Sept. 24;
- archery season -- Oct. 1 through Dec. 31;
- early firearms (urban units only) season -- Oct. 14 through Oct. 22;
- regular firearms season -- Nov. 29 through Dec. 10;
- extended whitetail antlerless-only season -- Jan. 1 through Jan. 7, 2007; and
- extended archery (urban units only) season -- Jan. 8 through Jan. 31, 2007.
Application deadlines are May 31 for all nonresident deer permits; July 14 for limited-draw resident permits (firearm and muzzleloader Any Deer permits); Dec. 30 for unlimited antlered resident Whitetail Either Sex, Archery, and Hunt-Own-Land permits; and Jan. 30, 2007, for antlerless whitetail permits and game tags.
There are three notable changes from last year’s deer seasons:
- hunters may purchase an antlerless-only deer permit or game tag after Dec. 30, 2006, without having first obtained a permit that allows the take of an antlered deer;
- the extended whitetail antlerless-only season was shortened by one day; and
- no check stations will be required in the 2006 season.
- archery season -- Sept. 23 through Oct. 1 and Oct. 14 through Oct. 31;
- muzzleloader season -- Oct. 2 through Oct. 9; and
- firearm season -- Oct. 6 through Oct. 9.
Application deadlines are June 9 for firearm and muzzleloader permits, Oct. 30 for archery permits. One change for 2006 is that unlimited archery permits will be available for nonresidents, as they are for residents. Firearm and muzzleloader permits are still restricted to resident hunters only.
Proposed elk season dates outside Fort Riley include the following:
- muzzleloader season -- Sept. 1 through Sept. 30;
- archery season -- Oct. 1 through Dec. 31; and
- firearm season -- Nov. 29 through Dec. 10 and Jan. 1, 2007, through March 15, 2007.
Proposed elk season dates on Fort Riley include the following:
- any-Elk permit holders -- Oct. 1 through Dec. 31; and
- antlerless-Only permit holders -- Oct. 1 through Dec. 31, with one-third of permits valid in each of the months of October, November, and December.
Units open for elk hunting were expanded to statewide use, except that Morton County is closed to elk hunting. Permit holders, upon harvesting an elk, are required to contact KDWP staff within two days to arrange for collection of tissue samples to monitor for chronic wasting disease.