Special Hunts Information
All applicants (Successful & Unsuccessful) should have been notified by email except for Grand Osage Wildlife Area and some applicants for Marais Des Cygnes National Wildlife Refuge. Both of those areas will notify successful applicants from their offices.
The best way to find out about special hunt permits is to email: email@example.com.
Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) offered 202 individual turkey hunts on 23 properties. 101 were "Open" permits, 58 were "Youth" permits and 43 were "Mentor" permits. Six (6) were on State Wildlife Areas, 1 National Wildlife Refuge, 14 on private lands in various counties, and 2 were city/county governed properties. 183 individual hunts were offered during the Spring 2013 turkey hunting season (up slightly from the 172 offered in the spring 2012).
Special hunts are part of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism's "Recruitment and Retention" Program. These hunts are conducted on department lands, including state parks, wildlife areas, and refuges. The hunts also occur on Walk In Hunting Areas (WIHA's), National Wildlife Refuges, City and County properties, and other locations. These hunts limit the number of participants to ensure a quality experience or to achieve specific management goals such as herd reduction.
If you have questions, please contact Mike Nyhoff at our Hays Regional Office at 785-628-8614 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before beginning the application process please read the following file. This file explains Age restrictions, hunt type definitions and walks you through the process.
You can view a list of the hunts by clicking on the following button:
- To begin the online registration process, click the "Special Hunts Application" button below.
- Here you will either Login to an existing account or create a new account. (Save this account information, it will be used for deer check-in, turkey check-in, future special hunts applications, etc.)
- Once you are logged in you will fill out the following information. The information is required to continue the process.
- First Name
- Last Name
- City, State, Zip Code
- Phone Number
- Email - this is for draw notification, if you are selected for a hunt you will receive an email with a link to print off your permit. If you are not selected you will also receive an email
- Date of Birth - This needs to be the Date of Birth for the individual going on the hunt. Youth hunts are only for hunters sixteen years old or younger at the time of the hunt.
- Once you have filled out the information you must check the "Acknowledgment" box to verify that the information is correct.
- Once this box is checked, the "Select your choices" section(s) will appear. You are given three choices for each species that have hunts available during that season. During the first fall application period you can sign up for both Sept. - Oct. hunts as well as Nov. - Dec. hunts.
- To select a choice for a species click on the corresponding button "Select * Hunt Choice". * being the choice, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
- This brings up the hunts list corresponding to the species and the season you are selecting. You can either click the corresponding "Select Hunt" button on a hunt from the list, or if you already know your hunt code, you can enter it in the Hunt Code box and click "Select Hunt".
- This returns you to the application and replaces the button you clicked with the hunt you selected. You will also see a checkbox located next to the hunt, labeled "Any Date". If you check this box it allows you to be in the drawing for any hunt for that location and hunt type, not just the date you selected. Giving you more of an opportunity to draw a hunt.
- Once you have selected all your hunts click "Select Hunts".
- NEW! To review or edit your current application, use the "My Information" link found on the upper right corner after login.